Have you heard of Joseph’s Coat Technique? The first time I did the technique it was years ago and I’ve only ever used black or brown as the final colour, which although produces a lovely impact, I really wanted to try it with some brighter colours.
Check out the Video
If you’ve not seen the technique you can check out my Facebook Live video which shows me making these cards.
How I made it
This technique involves laying down some colour with your choice of dauber or a sponge and it looks a bit of a mess to start with. You really want to make sure that you choose colours that blend together nicely – Melon Mambo and Bermuda Bay make a light purple, Mango Melody and Melon Mambo make orange. You don’t want to have colours that will end up in a brown mess. If you start the above video about 6.30 minutes you will see some of my initial attempts.
Colours used in this card
Bermuda Bay, Melon Mambo, Mango Melody, Granny Apple Green and Gorgeous Grape.
I made two versions of these cards as initially I was having trouble getting the background dark enough to cover the first layer of colour that I had done. I thought the issue may have been because on this card I had used the colours in the bright colour range. Once you have laid this colour down then you want to choose a stamped image that is detailed and doesn’t really require colouring. Flowers, leaves and words work quite well. Then you stamp these images all over the coloured background in Versamark and then use clear embossing powder and heat set. I do find that using the embossing buddy does help after laying the colour down but before stamping with Versamark.
Colours in this card
Flirty Flamingo, Daffodil Delight, Pool Party, Granny Apple Green and Gorgeous Grape.
Once you have heat set the card, then you need to use a darker colour to sponge over the whole card. I did use the Gorgeous Grape and initially I was using a clear block as my pallet and using a sponge to get the colour on the card, but it was not getting dark enough. I ended up using the ink from the reinker onto the clear block and using this. This did give me a much darker coverage and was exactly what I was looking for. Please note this does make the cardstock a little wet especially if you use Whisper White like I did. I suggest you ensure the piece is cut to size prior to commencing the card, or wait until the piece is fully dry before cutting to size.
The sentiment was trimmed to size and I fussy cut out the little flower image. There are dies that co-ordinate with this set and although I have them I just chose to fussy cut the images as they were really quick and easy to do. I added some Wink of Stella to the flowers and finished off the card with the adhesive backed sequins that are part of the Artistry Bloom Suite.
If you would like a catalogue please let me know and I will pop one in the post for you.
If you are interested in any of the products used and do not already have a Stampin’ Up! Demonstrator I would be happy to help you place an order, or you can click on the product links below which will take you directly to my online store.